Thursday, March 11, 2010

Science Teacher Rule #22

Junior High Girls are very free with their compliments, even if they don't always turn out the way you would expect.


Girl: Mrs. Anderson you smell good

Me: Thanks I just put on some lotion

Girl: What kind?

Me: It's called Squeeze

Girl: You smell like.....like.....butterflies and rainbows!


Today a girl was trying to give me a compliment on my outfit. I wore my awesome blue corduroy half-sleeve blazer, with a brown undershirt that has lace on the bottom, and khakis. The khakis that have lost both buttons on the back pockets, and as of last week, the last remaining button on the front, the one that had already been replaced once. I didn't have any other pants that would work with the jacket so I wore them anyways. Buttonless. With a belt and a safety pin. This is what happens when you make fashion choices before covering someone's A-hour. I should really just buy some new pants. But now we're old friends. Anyways, I would post a picture but I'm too lazy to hunt down my husband to take one. And I realized I had blogged about the amazing blazer when I first convinced it to come home from the thrift store. Then I realized I couldn't link to it because it is now in the forbidden archives of the blog before I donned the cloak of anonymity.

Sadness.

Anyways, it's not an alluring outfit by any means.


Girl: Mrs. Anderson, I like your outfit. It's very.....I for got the word. Its starts with an S.

Me: ( in my head) Ummm, it's probably the jacket, Scholarly?

Girl: No....that's not it.

Me: Can you think of some synonyms?

Girl: It's like scholarly, but different.

I start walking away

Boy: to the girl, trying to come up with adjectives that start with S and not actively trying to be a perv, Sexy?

Me: in my head BLEEAAHHHAHHA! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO HANDLE THIS? Wait, I'm far enough away and he said it quiet enough. I'm just going to ignore it and pretend I didn't hear.

Girl: Rolls eyes No. Not that. Oh I know. You look very sophisticated.



I give her props for using a five syllable word, but 'pretty' would have saved me my daily portion of awkward.



5 comments:

Elena said...

Awesome. There will always be awkward moments because you are hot and you teach teenage boys :)

Camille Elise said...

hahahaha...that reminds me of a girl that I work with that is in 8th grade I think? Anyway, every time she sees me, she compliments my clothes...

And, my clothes aren't even dressy...well, hardly.

It's sooo funny. I try to quietly and graciously accept the compliment but it does weird me out.

Camille Elise said...

Also...I wish I had received your number a few days ago so that we could have truly hung out and talked by the pool...or I could have at least help you grade papers.

My family is going to Kardhner Caverns tomorrow...I don't know how to spell that. :(

Joseph and Lianna Quillen said...

hehehe (whistle whistle). Oh good times! Teenagers are never short on their supply of awkward. =)

RatalieNose said...

This just made my day.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online