Wednesday, May 4, 2011

#6 I haven't bought jam in years

The ranch market sells strawberries for $0.33/lb every summer and there just isn't a comparison between homemade and store bought. I only do freezer jam because it is super simple.

1) Remove stems from strawberries
2) Put in blender. Pulse 5 times
3) Add sugar
4) Add instant pectin (after heating the traditional pectin on the stove and making a mess, I buy the liquid or instant. They require less sugar too. This time I experimented with Splenda because I had a big bag from my diabetic days. I mixed it with 1/3 regular sugar and it wasn't too bad)
5) Pulse until mixed

6) Pour into tupperware or freezer jars


4 comments:

Allison said...

I just made my first batch of strawberry freezer jam on Monday night. I think I might start eating bread again just so I can have jam on it. Not that I don't like bread... I just can't eat an entire loaf before it goes bad. I don't like frozen bread unless it's toasted and I'm missing a toaster right now. Next on the list of things to buy? A toaster. :)

Julianne said...

Ever since I made my first batch of amazingly delicious freezer jam a few months ago, I won't go back to regular jam either. Have you ever tried fruit other than strawberries? I haven't, but I'd like to.

Me said...

Store-bought jam is for civilians.
(Whatever that means.)

Alicia W said...

I just made jam using my smoothies maker and it was awesome. I will blog and pay homage to you.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online